View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #65
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Obesity

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
My wife smoked for years before we met. When we first moved in together we made a rule that there would be no smoking in our small 1 bedroom apartment. She had always talked about quitting but never did it.

We were on the 3rd floor and she would go out on the balcony to smoke. That summer we got a very aggressive wasp nest on the balcony. The apartment complex said they would remove it after the season because there was no way for a worker to get to it without being attacked. Just opening the sliding door got you stung.

Now she was faced with risking pain, or walking down 3 flights of stairs every single time she wanted to smoke. By the time fall came she had quit smoking.

She says she thinks about it now and then, but then she thinks about the stink, the effort, and the cost. That keeps her out of it. She has never smoked again, it's been well over 7 years. It worked out well for her because I had told her I would never marry a smoker. Maybe that was her twisted plan after all. ;-)
It's funny how a little positive reinforcement can make a world of difference. For my grampa it took the doc telling him he would die soon if he didn't quit. His wife quit more or less of her own accord, but she said she never quit: she just wasn't smoking "right now." Decades later she's still not smoking. It's interesting what works for different people.

Gambarimashyo!