Thread: Nihonjinron
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #40
MM
United_States
Re: Nihonjinron

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
I would really be hard pressed to volunteer in this country right now to be a practicing member of the Islamic faith. It too many cases, that can make you a target these days. Even if found innocent in a court of law. http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/29/...edo/index.html
I dunno, Ron. Do you ride around with terrorists wanting to blow stuff up? There was a case to be made that both *could* have been involved in transporting explosives. In the end, it was proven that one of them was definitely involved. Lots of hassle in the legal system for Youssef Megahed, but in the end, justice was served in this particular case. He was acquitted of the crimes. His "friend" in the car, Ahmed Mohamed, confessed and was found guilty.

Now, it seems that there is more "evidence" against Youssef Megahed, only this time involving being a terrorist. I don't know what it is or how detailed. One source states this:

Quote:
The evidence, from a search of the computer at his family's home, includes "numerous videos, documents and an Internet search history that supports Islamic extremism, jihad against the United States...," ICE alleged in court documents.
http://delawarelibertarian.blogspot....ice-state.html

What's really happening? I guess we'll probably not know the truth of the matter. What do we really know? Youssef was traveling on a road trip with a terrorist. As a nation, we should investigate that kind of situation. A jury acquitted Youssef "of charges of possessing and transporting explosives". However, that was one portion of a larger question. Is Youssef a terrorist? That question is now being asked by Immigrations.

When I was sent overseas in 90-91, I worked alongside many members of the Islamic faith. I watched them set down the prayer rugs and pray at the appropriate times. I watched them guard us at specific places. We never thought twice about their ideals, their religion, or their devotion to keeping us safe.

There are many practicing members of the Islamic faith in the U.S. And many of them are not "hassled" at all. There's anywhere from 2-10 million Muslims in the U.S. How many can you count that have been "targeted" like Youssef? Bottom line for anyone, not just a practicing Muslim, is that if you're going to hang around with someone and take road trips with someone, it's best to know just what kind of person he, or she, is and what he/she is transporting or carrying with them.

IMO, anyway.

Sorry for the off topic post,
Mark