View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #33
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Do We Need To Invent A New Training? Yes/No/Maybe/How?

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Hey William,

From what I read here, we are kindred spirits, you and I. I also practice martial arts for spiritual development. I choose martial arts as my spiritual practice because I get the side benefit of learning to physically protect myself and those around me. So, just like you, my martial arts need to be, "martial".

It's just that I don't believe unarmed fighting is all that martial. Unarmed fighting has taught me a lot about myself. Unarmed fighting has been a wonderful spiritual practice for me (making me face my fears on many occasions). Unarmed fighitng is an interesting pass time. But as far as being martially effective goes, unarmed fighting is very limited.

Modern American culture tricked me with, movies, video games, and fantasies. For a very long time I believed that unarmed fighting was fighting. This myopic view made me chase my tail for years. Made me think that Aikido didn't offer much as a martial art. It made me waste a lot of my time.

When I gained a larger understanding of physical conflict, I realized how important the lessons of Aikido are, martially. Important things in physical conflict are: surprise, weapons, numbers, and environment. Aikido addresses these important factors constantly, western boxing doesn't work on any of them. Wester boxing is the best way to learn about punching (in my opinion) Aikido is about worthless. But how martial is punching, really?
I totally agree. Good Post. See you on the mat one of these days. Hopefully you'll consider doing a write up of Sensei Williams Seminar. To me he exhibits a pure expression of Budo.

William Hazen