View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #39
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Very Disturbing news about Clint George

Quote:
Jennifer Yabut wrote: View Post
And those who are in the position of teaching need to be extra vigilant in making sure their behavior towards minors is *always* above reproach. It simply isn't wise practice to work one-on-one with a minor in an empty dojo.
Absolutely. We have an active kid's program and I remember one year when there had been a lot of very bad weather right around the holidays one kid's class was exactly one kid. But there was the instructor and an adult assistant on the mat with them. So two adults. I remember the parent saying it seemed funny seeing what was essentially two instructors on the mat with one student. But we always want at least two adults present at all time. And we always encourage parents to stay and watch each and every class. It is good simply as support for the kid but also so there is no chance of any misunderstandings.

Heck, when I take my daugther to her ballet, piano or horseriding lessons I'm always there watching.

FWIW I've e-mailed the reporter at the newspaper asking for any updates if possible.