Old 02-21-2011, 04:48 AM   #18
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Defining 3 Basics of Aikido: Kokyu Power

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hi Randall,

well done for trying to keep the thread on track, I agree 3 of the fundamentals of aikido!

far easier for me to understand than asymptotic attenuation or whatever it is

regards

Mark
Hi Mark

I think what Mike Sigman highlights is the issue with some using differing words to say the same thing....and others using similar words and meaning something different

We all have phrases we are comfortable with ...and I think we could all gain more from this forum if we try to find common ground and not continually redefine things.

Just a thought...and not popping at you or Randall at all.

in this case...I'm personally comfortable with all of the expressions Mike has highlighted and suspect strongly they are mostly similar to Randalls thoughts.

What Mike says about 'Kokyu-Ryoku as opposed to Kokyu alone, and how people are becoming more comfortable with this being referred to as IP/IS particularly 'rings my bell' ...and ties in very much with teaching I've received in the past.

I see in the posts here (and feel it my self) ..a temptation to try and jump straight to this level...but I have in my ears the teaching I received from day 1..."first construct the body"...I've been taught that Aikido practice, especially with regard to shisei/ posture is preparation of an Aiki body. ..I suspect that this may be similar to Dan Harden and others use of solo excercises to build the body...(and will find out soon ;-) ).

So ..I've been taught thus, When through years practice one has prepared the body then you create something that may be capable of generating and delivering the icing on the cake...kokyu / ryoku ...or internal power.

A bit like preparing a rolls royce framework for a rolls royce engine.

Try and stick that same engine in a mini...and it just doesn't work.

Kind regards

D