View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
Joost Korpel

Dojo: University of Iowa Aikikai
United_States
Re: training for people with disabilities

Peter,
I too have arthritis and constantly struggling with the balance of managing my arthritic pain and practicing aikido. As you have already discovered, the pain and swelling can get worse the next day after aikido. I've purposefully chosen not to tell training partners in my dojo that I have arthritis. Not because of pride, but because I don't want my partners thinking about my disability when they should be concentrating on doing good technique. I do however let my partner know if a particular technique needs to be eased up a bit. For example, wrist pain - please don't crank on the Kote gaeshi, or swollen finger joints - don't squeeze the Sankyo please, hip pain - no Shiho nage high falls. You get the idea. If your arthritis is severe enough I would recommend you tell the head instructor.

Some advice:

1) being new to Aikido your probably very enthused about practicing and hate to miss practices. Learn to ease up on yourself, and listen to your body. It may be telling you one practice a week is all it can handle.
2) Don't force yourself to practice through pain. This will only lead to complications later on. Don't be afraid to ask your sensei permission to leave the mat because of excessive joint pain. In this case I would tell sensei about your arthritis. Don't feel that you wasted a class by doing this, even if you just done the warm ups and nothing else, you've done some good for your mind and body.
3) Once a week in our dojo we offer a weapons class. This is mostly weapons kata and partner training. As it rarely involves any throws its very easy on my arthritis yet provides great strength and flexibility training. If only I could stop stabing myself in the eye with that tanto
4) Stick with it. As a male you have one great weapon in your arsenal for fighting arthritis, testosterone. The more of this natural steroid you produce the less trouble you have with arthritis. Exercise is the best way to generate testosterone. It will also reduce your weight which is also easier on the joints. In other words if you keep exercising in moderation, in time your body will be able to better fight your arthritis naturally. It least that was the experience for me.
5) A couple of Advils an hour before class works wonders

Best of luck with your training,

Joost