View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 11:34 AM   #44
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait
Re: Nice Jiyu waza

Quote:
Philip Smith wrote:
Totally agree. The late Doshu Ueshiba Kisshamoru was derided in some quarters for his "soft" technique and apparent coreographed Aikido. I only ever took ukeme for him twice but I distinctly remember being shocked at how hard the tatami was especially when it had felt nice and soft two minutes before!
Exact opposite of my experience. When I went to hit him it was like punching smoke. I swear I hit him, at least his gi, but his body wasn't there. When I grabbed, it was like grabbing smoke and the moment I thought "Oh shit." I realized I was already on the ground and didn't realize or feel how I got there. Funny thing, thinking about falling and finding you are already looking up at the ceiling. The people off to the side watching the TV demo being taped said I hit the mats real hard. Maybe I lost consciousness there for a second, I don't know but I can't even remember taking the ukemi so it felt real soft. So, it didn't feel very hard at all even though they said the whole building shook.

Rock