Thread: Better life?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2002, 05:06 AM   #16
guest1234
Re: ok then

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
thanks for the honest/interesting answers.

it does seem that some of you are hesitant to claim the better life that Aikido looks to promise , but are still focused on that 'better life' or 'bettering person (which leads to happier life under my definition)' aspect of this martial art.

on the other hand, none of you claim the 'invincible fighting technique' as your motivation though some imply it may have been the hook to get you caught.

now, if this is so, why is there so much argument over which Aikido flavor teaches better killing techniques, or is true budo, or is the "real" stuff, or that Daito Ryu or another Ryu is the "real" thing, or that Yoseikan is the "real" thing or that Ki-Society is for wimps or that Aikido can't be used against "real" attacks or not?
why is there years of bad blood because the claims of who is Aikido's "true" heir?

yes yes we are human and where there's more than two , God and politics will show up. but we are also Aikidoka and this is a reflection of our collective education under the Aikido umbrella.

I thank you sincerely for your answers, which were more enlightening than what I was imagining could be an answer.

I chose to make this post anonymous because i didn't want my person to be part of the question, and wanted your own perspectives.

I also want to keep the question going, because it's relevant. Why is Aikido different, why is a more fulfilling path than say the shooting range. Is the CONTENT, the ETHOS of the art the important part, or is it just another way to fight.
Well, first off, I think those who want to tell you how invincible their style is, or how useful 'on the street' just haven't read this yet. Give it time, they are in the group in abundance. I predict at least two pages centered on how deadly several have become since starting Aikido.

A lot of how close-minded some are to other styles comes usually from one of two places: 1) sempai and senseis attitude or 2) an individual's need to feel unique and important --- I don't think it has anything to do with Aikido itself, except to indicate a need to keep training

As for Aikido compared to the shooting range...well, I don't do Kyudo, but I think what someone gets out of Aikido or Kyudo or weapons practice/suburi (bokken, jo, or 9mm) has to do with what they are looking for--- if the same focus and search for self improvement/mastery is applied, I think the end result is going to be the same. I think someone working on those goals with a 9mm is more likely to find them than someone who trains everyday in Aikido with a goal of being able to beat everyone they 'find on the street'. I think working with a partner is an advantage if we are sensitive to what that means in a larger picture, but I've been uke for some who treat me a lot worse than I treat my 9mm.

Last edited by guest1234 : 02-06-2002 at 05:44 AM.