Thread: Moving Gi
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2002, 06:08 PM   #14
cdwright
Dojo: Yorkville Aikido
Re: Moving Gi

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnH
I had a question about my gi. I have two of them. One is a lightweight, bright white karate-gi that I had well before I started Aikido. The other is a heavy, un-bleached judo-gi that I got for Christmas. It is finally softening up so that it doesn't give me rug burns everytime I uke for the instructor. The problem is the "collar" (for lack of a better term) is still really stiff and moves a lot. I like the gi, but the ends of the collar (what is is really called?) do not seem to get along very well. They try to be as far away from each other as possible. They always stage their little revolutions when I am rolling so I can't stop them (crafty little buggers). Long story short, I spend a lot of class time trying to make sure that other people don't have to look at my belly button. My karate-gi has those little ties to keep this from happening. Is there anything I can do to keep my gi in place, or am I going to have to just live with it?

Hope that I wasn't too long-winded.
Thanks

Criminals and people that want to harm you do not care if your belly shows or not. As long as you are clothed, enjoy practice. And remember you are learning a martial art, not walking down the runway in Milan.