View Single Post
Old 07-31-2004, 08:32 PM   #12
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Re: Questions on Starting a New Dojo

Paul,
I "third" what Fred said. It may be that you aren't a good candidate to do this if you have a job that takes you out of town a lot and if you have a wife that isn't "thrilled" about weekend commitments, etc.
We started our program in new YMCA and they bought all the equipment and let me advertise in their publications and sit in their lobby and meet thousands of their members soliciting them for my program. Things have gone great but having said that, I have taught for 5 months without missing a class and I have paid for all the printing, the website, and all the extra stuff that no one thinks about. I also have a wife that has supported me in my Aikido for ten years without a complaint and still, it has been challenging.
You can do whatever you are determined and motivated to do but those are the factors that will come into play not counting the obstacles. It's easier being a student. I am doing this because I came to the end of the road and it was this or stop doing aikido so I chose to teach and I was blessed to have this great situation.
We all wish you the best,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."