View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #25
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: The Fear of Power

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
Osensei himself said his aikido would die with him and that his students' mission was to spread the art of aikido through the world.
Mochizuki Sensei said "No one did Ueshiba's aikido but Ueshiba." However, he was one of two people to get a teaching scroll from Ueshiba in daito ryu. So I just follow what he said and that's aikido for me.

Quote:
I dont think he was actually all that hung up on making people be like him, and he clearly changed his spiel over time as he grew and developed. His reasons were not his deshis' reasons are not my reasons are not your reasons. Are you sure you're not projecting and using the projection as a springboard for judgement?
With a baseline of what aikido is about, you don't have to project. Mochizuki, however, was not one of those in the room when Ueshiba shouted "That's not my aiki!" He was the one Ueshiba sent Kisshomaru to live with after the war, for more training. He was one of Ueshiba's closest and longest students, so while there may have been some differences, of course, Ueshiba highly approved of his take on what aikido is. Whatever one's reasons for beginning or continuing to train, it shouldn't be hard to understand that a katana was not made for cutting toenails and aikido was not made as a ribbon dance. It was made to develop powerful people to stop violence. And the modern distortion has made power an evil idea. Yet, strangely, it retains the symbols of power in its form.

Quote:
Oh, you are creating the problem of the ham sandwich with your highly flexible use of the word power. Hmmm, I have some nice black forest in the fridge. Too bad I am out of cheese.
Are you sure you're out?

I'm not being flexible in the use of the word power. It does mean the ability to do something. Those who oppose power are bending its meaning to be dominance over other people in general, which is a sad attitude since it leads to a preference for inability and incapacity.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com