View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #18
Tony Nielsen
Dojo: OC Aiki Kai
United_States
Re: why do you train, why do you continue and benifits of training?

1. I had always wanted to get involved in Martial Arts of some kind and took some advice from a friend who is a black belt in Bushikan…"have a look at lots of Arts and see which one you feel most comfortable in"..I looked around, observed a few and knew instantly Aikido was for me. I observed my Sensei teach a class at a local dojo that has been around a good while (40+yrs) the instructor was/ is Henry Oshiro Sensei, the dojo is Orange County Aikikai. I was drawn to both his ability to convey the complex techniques and principles as well as his calmness and grace. I've since trained with other Sensei's at the dojo and have found them all to be outstanding. Once I accepted the fact that I would not learn these techniques overnight (w/ Oshiro Sensei's guidance) I have progressed at a good pace. Btw, I started at age 42.

2. I've never regretted a single day I've trained, but had days I've regretted not training.

3. I'm a more balanced person training in Aikido. Proper breathing, balance, and relaxation all are skills honed in the art. Funny thing is although the self defense aspect was a factor in starting; it's one of the last items I listed. Add to that the fact that Aikido is an art which can be practiced all your life. Confidence, fitness, (I get more of a workout in 2 hours of Aikido than when I run a 10k) improved health benefits, stress reduction and the ability to improve myself with a great group of mentors and friends are the personal benefits I gain from training in the art.