View Single Post
Old 11-14-2001, 03:50 PM   #84
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
I think Andrew makes a valid point that when one talks about dealing with a NHB compeditor - the chance that we would run into that sort is pretty low. We may run into the Saturday afternoon Thai boxer wanna be or some violent git who does a bit of Karate training but there is no way they are in the same class.

But how his argument does fall apart is adequetly pointed out by Chris. Even if self defence is not your primary motive for studying Aikido, it sure isn't mine, to take your technique to the higher levels you must understand dealing with aggression and what works under pressure and how it works. Aikido can never be just dancing or moving meditation for then it becomes something else.

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
Now I must admit that I rarely take on sword wielding mobs, but I rarely need to take on huge powerful hard training professional fighters without using atemi either.... I'll stick with enjoying aikido. I'm not worried about how I'd fare in a fight because it wouldn't enhance my life to win one. Victory is always fleeting.
Quote:
To which Chris [hate that Censored moniker] replies
By all means enjoy yourself, but God help you if someone comes with a trained attack. You may find that a permanant, crippling injury doesn't enhance your life either. Nor is it fleeting.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido