View Single Post
Old 12-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Life and death

Quote:
Stefan Hultberg wrote: View Post
At 8' o clock this morning a friend of my family died peacefully after a long bout with cancer.

The study of Aikido is a path of Yin and Yang, the study of life and death. What a wonderful path ��
Merrii Kurisumasu ��
Hello Stefan,

Well, it depends. Your friend died peacefully, and I assume you mean s/he lay still and showed no outward signs of any inner agitation. My mother died many years ago, but after a long bout with Alzheimer's Disease -- and the inner agitation was right there, but there was nothing we could do.

So, dying its the end of a process of shutting down and -- for all your quotes -- we do not know what happens afterwards, if there is an 'afterwards'.

I should add that this is something that I am facing now. I have cancer, heart disease, and -- now I understand after the latest diagnosis -- age-related epilepsy, plus all the side effects from the medication I am taking. Quite a handful. So, I suspect that, all other things being equal, I am closer than you are.

But the excellent doctors want to keep me alive for as long as possible and I am glad of this, for I still have aikido and I enjoy watching my students try to understand my 'mysterious' waza. Last class I slowly showed four types of kaiten-nage and my young yudansha could not understand any of them.

All good wishes for 2019.

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 12-27-2018 at 08:14 PM.

P A Goldsbury