View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 05:46 AM   #14
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Training/sparring versus who can kick butt

Couple of more thoughts to better articulate.

When I got with Mike Sigman, for example, I didn't need to fight him or get into long discussion about stuff, nor did I really have the capacity to understand exactly what he was talking about.

It was not necessary. Just by working with him and watching him move and feeling him, I could make an assessment about how useful or un-useful I felt what he was teaching might be to me.

that is, I had something to take away from the encounter.

Does that mean that I can tell you how "good" Mike is or isn't? No...not really sure what that means to be honest.

It only means that Mike could clearly articulate what he had to teach and he had a method for transmitting it and communicating it as a teacher, and I found application for it.

For me, I can't tell you the difference between Jin/Kokyu...hard or soft...it simply does not matter to me, nor do I find it necessary to figure this out at this time.

Maybe if I were attempting to be an Internal Expert or I found it incredibly fascinating to understand this topic at a very indepth level of study.

No, for me, as a layman, I am simply looking for the application of how it helps me do the things that are important to me.

Now, if you tell me you can use this stuff and fight...well I am also all ears and I want to experience it in the way that you say you can use it in and show me how you do that....yea...it would require you to demonstrate your ability to fight and you'd probably have to kick my ass to do it...sorry I am just like that.