View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #60
ronin67
Japan
Re: Golden Center Aikido for your pleasure

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I agree with the majority of those assessing these videos. There is no effective aikido in the videos and definitely no aiki to be seen.
Dan
A very honest assessment. Also, I've never been to a Aikido dojo, where you have junior members practicing on their own, doing what ever on the side (I have this big urge every time I watch this video to want to jump on the side and start helping these guys). As far as the two aikidoka, it just looks like no extension of KI at all with effective waza. The akemi looks like he is almost afraid to fall and get hurt. It is funny, every time I practice Aikido, I'm always walking away with some type of bruise here or there. Not saying I'm all that, because I'm not.

Dojo discipline is also something stressed very much, at least in the KI Aikido dojo that I attend now (and to be honest every KI Aikido dojo I attended). Hats being worn in the dojo? That would never be acceptable in any KI Aikido Dojo I attended. If your into the long Bob Marley type hair that is fine, just tie it and let the bodies hit the floor (with KI and good waza). The Aikido has to be effective. The circular movement of the uke also looks dead. This is not a personal hit on the original poster (he is a very nice gentleman), but the "Hippie" Aikido just doesn't do it for me. It is missing the structure and discipline to me. I'm use to seeing people moving around with a sense of purpose and effective extension of KI, with good waza.

May God bless!

Ed

Last edited by ronin67 : 09-01-2011 at 08:07 AM.

"Aikido can never truly bring peace without the full understanding and application of KI ".
-Me