Thread: Translation
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 01:26 AM   #15
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: Translation

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote: View Post
Ahh, but it's taken out of context....."Hello,could someone fluent in Nihongo tell me how a Nipponji would say,".....?
I see where you're coming from, but the part within the quotation marks should be the actual quotation, which doesn't need to be modified to indicate reported speech.

Quote:
Hello,could someone fluent in Nihongo tell me how a Nipponji would say,"In the stillness, between breathing in and breathing out, can one capture Yin and Yang in perfect harmony."
Judging by the difference between the quote in your new signature and this one, I think you just needed to change the word-order in the original:

Quote:
"In the stillness, between breathing in and breathing out, one can capture Yin and Yang in perfect harmony."
To make the same change to the Japanese just drop the ka at the end.

As for kokyu, you seem to have reignited discussion elsewhere on the forum. The quote appears to be talking about the normal physical action of breathing. Inhaling (breathing in) is su, exhaling (breathing out) is haku. There is a point at either end of these where one changes to the other. That same situation is expressed by "between a breath and a breath" in Japanese just as it does less eloquently so in English. I chose that because it sounds better in the Japanese, since su can also mean ‘suck' and haku also means ‘throw up'.

Quote:
In between Kokyus would be the wrong place, it's in between a single Kokyu. How'd you say that in Nihongo?
Sorry to clamp down on the grammar again but how can you be between a single thing? It doesn't work in English or Japanese. I appreciate how much this quote means to you so please take my contributions as an honest attempt to help you get it right .

(okay, it's also part of my own nihongo-iiyuwaza practice)

All the best

Carl