View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #32
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Breaking the will of the ego.

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Sorry, I'll take the 1990 Ch Montrose with along with a couple grass fed ribeyes grilled over mesquite we had a few days ago over chianti any day.

Unless you include fava beans...

p.s. I also liked the zombie kid because years ago at a bar late at night I had a rousing discussion with a bunch of psych researchers about the best way to describe zombie intelligence. It was hilarious for me sitting there with a bunch of Ph.D.'s getting seriously involved in trying to figure out the best way to model the mental processes of a zombie. Was it best to consider them using a Freudian model where the id was the only structure left? The conversation got so wonderfully weird including considering brain evolution ideas (reptilian brain -- cue Anthony Hopkins doing that thing after he mentioned the fava beans), brain structure, heck, someone even somehow managed to bring up Jung and Paul Tillich (huh?). Of course I couldn't resist Julian Jaynes and that whole bicameral deal. What a great idea -- zombies as being throw backs to a more primal brain structure hence somewhat schizophrenic state of consciousness. Just with human flesh eating tendencies. Of course since most the people there were in the mental skills testing area we ended up discussing Guilford's theories and what sort of "mental stuff" would rotate out in a factor analysis after testing... So yeah, zombies can make for a good gedanken even in psych discussions.

So on self-examination I realize I also engage in some fairly odd discussions. So please, as I said, carry on without me. After further self-psycho-analysis I understand better why the zombie kid seemed so incredibly relevant to the discussion. Obviously it wasn't as relevant to everyone else as it was to me. Must learn to listen to the ego more and repress that irresponsible id that likes posting when I'm tired...
Keith:

Oh how I wish that you and your wife were able to join George, his wife and mine for that week-long play date in Napa/Sonoma Valley this past summer. I think that I am still drying out....... Maybe next summer.....

Waxing poetic with pseudo-philosophical, pseudo-psychological babble may be a nice form of mental masturbation for some people, but I get genuinely concerned when people try and do so as teachers. Your zombie link seemed to go above some people (I just love the bell-shaped curve), but was biting, to the point and very accurate.

Maybe we should retreat to our caves and try and find some nice grape juice for this weekend. Seems to be a much more constructive pursuit. Speaking of which..... son-in-law hosting a grill fest in my backyard this weekend. My South American Grill, along with with my home-made smoker will get some good use. They are brining Captain Lawrence beers (Local brewer who went to HS with my daughter and now has the 17th top independent micro-brewery in the world!) and I have to figure out a nice red to sip amongst my friends. Thinking a Molly Docker Carnival of Love......

Regards,

Marc Abrams