View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Aikido book from the 50's or early 60's?

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
I think it's Aikido: The Arts of Self Defense, written by Tohei and supervised by Morihei. The PDF file of it that I have is in English and is dated 1960, Rikugei Publishing House.
Yes, that sounds like the book - here is a link to a description over at Aikido Journal: http://www.aikidojournal.com/bibliog...details?id=168

Although, originally published in 1959/60, I picked up a reprinted publication a few years ago from a British publisher.

I am a bit of an Aikido book collector and I favor Tohie's books - my prized book is a 1968 first printing of Tohie's 'This is Aikido'. I got it a few years ago from a lady in Hawaii who's father owned a book store and she was liquidating items after his death - it came to me brand new in the actual shipping box from the publisher, I was the first to actually open the book after all these years.

You should cherish your signed books - I had a signed book by Koretoshi Maruyama that I got form him back in the mid 70s' - unfortunately, I lost it over the years through my many moves, etc.

Greg