View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Walter Martindale
Canada
Re: Taking care of your Hakama with heavy use?

Quote:
Long Trinh wrote: View Post
Thank you! Although I'm still at 1st kyu. Here people give out the hakama somewhere along 1st kyu because they want people to wear a hakama at their shodan test. Strange

About the washing part, so no more than 1 wash/month? And since mine is cotton indigo, that means no washing machine either?

What do you think about these washing methods? Seem really convenient to me:

http://www.bestkendo.com/kendo-washing.html
I haven't looked at the website but - on the assumption that you and the people with whom you train may perspire once in a while, wash the hakama at LEAST once a month if you're practicing a lot. If not for your own health, out of consideration for the people you train with - old sweat tends to get kinda rotten.

Cotton Indigo - I've never owned one of those - too much "looking after" - if I did get one of those, I'd use it MAYBE at seminars and ceremonies, but stick to the "techron" I think it's called machine-washable ones for regular training. First kyu wearing hakama isn't that out of the norm - I've been in one dojo where you were asked (not required) to start at third kyu - wearing the hakama at the home dojo, but fitting with other dojo practices when training at others (e.g., usually not wearing hakama until shodan).

WM