View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #15
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland
Re: Mr. Kimura’s Aikido Memories, Part 2

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Morihei Ueshiba participated in demonstrations of martial arts in China as well, I'm not sure what your point is there.
did Ueshiba demonstrate at the invitation of Chinese martial arts groups during peacetime? If not, you're not really comparing like with like. My point is that there is nothing inherent in Daito ryu that explains Ueshiba's anti Chinese bias at the time. There is a lot, however in the Shinto cult he was involved in: the uniqueness of the Japanese language for example.
Quote:
FWIW, there were a number of Takeda's Daito-ryu students involved with the radical right wing, not only Morihei Ueshiba. Actually, it wasn't that uncommon among the Budo crowd, who tended to be (on average) a bit more conservative.
Sure, but equally, traditional aristocratic feudal arts didn't sit all that well with a nationalistic militaristic ideology.In some ways, they undermine each other. The same happened with the mensur fencing groups in Nazi Germany.I don't see there's any strong evidence for example that Sokaku takeda was the avid nationalist that Ueshiba was: not that he was a peacenik, but it just wasn't that high on his list of priorities. In other words, Ueshiba's Chinese views aren't really a direct result of his exposure to DR.
Quote:
I think that you're misreading Takuma Hisa's statements. For example, Yutaka Amatsu puts it this way:

Of course, that's understandable to me - if my teacher showed up all of a sudden I think that it's fairly likely that people would judge their techniques to be more developed.I'd also like to think that Ueshiba developed some over the next 34 years.
TBH, you can interpret that quote in a number of ways. The fact is that Hisa stated that Takeda turned up, declared that his student Ueshiba had incomplete knowledge of the art. Whe Hisa trained with him, he stated that indeed, what Takeda and Ueshiba were doing was completely different.

I do agree that Ueshiba's art developed, especially in the fifties onwards though.
Quote:
You also have to remember that Hisa actually only spent a short time with Takeda - less than three years during a time when Takeda was only sometimes in Osaka. Ueshiba interacted with Takeda over a period of some twenty years, and Takeda actually lived with him for some six months.
Did Ueshiba have any contact with Takeda after the incident in Osaka?

Quote:
There were a number of issues going on with the naming, I'm not convinced that it indicates much of significance on a technical level.
Personally, I think it does. But that's probably something that takumakai people can answer more clearly.