View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #12
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido book from the 50's or early 60's?

Quote:
Jamie Yugawa wrote: View Post
"Ki in daily life" signed by Koichi Tohei sensei
That's a 70's edition of Tohei Sensei's original 60's book "Aikido in daily life". The value there is purely sentimental and there might be some value in the signature, not sure. Frankly I prefer the original but then I'm a stealth-heretic within KNK.

Quote:
,"How to develop Ki " signed by Koichi tohei and Koretoshi Maruyama sensei.
If that is what I think it is, that is very rare and the signatures make it even more valuable.

Quote:
This 3rd book i have never seen before ,The tiltle just says "Aikido" in japanese,it has a picture of 2 aikidoka practicing shizumi otoshi or aikido knee drop on the cover ,its is all in japanese ,the pictures have koichi tohei doing taiso and techniques ,the date on the back of the book says 1959 and the most interesting part is that there is a page that is actually signed by O sensei next to his picture. I verified the signature with my sensei but have no idea about this book . I tried looking on the internet and have no leads. Does anyone have any information on this book or ideas where i can find more info.
Unless he went to Japan, your grandfather must have had it signed on O Sensei's one visit outside of Japan in 1961 to Hawaii. I have seen various interesting photos from that visit when I was at the Maui Ki Society dojo. So that's definitely of historical value.

If nage (probably Tohei Sensei) is facing the camera looking down with the uke having been thrown over on his back with the top of his head facing the camera, then it's interesting that it's in Japanese as that is one of the first Aikido books to appear in English, maybe the first. The Japanese edition was according to the preface in the English edition to have first been published in August, 1957. The preface is not quite clear but seems at least the English version was written when Tohei Sensei was in Hawaii from 1957 to 1958. The quality of prose in his early classics like this one are on the whole much better. I have a feeling there were some Hawaiian ghost writers at work here.

I have the 1966 London edition (AIKIDO / The Co-ordination of Mind and Body for Self-defense) which seems much more common than the original English version it was copied from by Rikugei (published 1961). I don't know how rare the Japanese version is in Japan or Hawaii, but I think it's safe to say it's non-existent elsewhere.

For someone studying aikido, your grandfather left you a nice inheritance.