View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #20
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: goals

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
So, Carsten, when did things change? Did you switch schools or what?
I think most of it had been there all the time, but I (... my then teacher ...) didn't realize what it really was.
Some years ago I left my first teacher for different reasons. The new teacher I chose, had practiced with Yamaguchi sensei and was a student of Sugino Yoshio (and is student of his son now). Things began to change. And what had been there, but had been hidden and was not really understood by my first teacher, could unfold now.

But the major change happened when I began to try to follow Endo sensei (like also my teacher does). My thinking, that aikidō has to become something internal, met his working on atari, musubi, body structure. And his speaking in Daoist terms suddenly oppenend up a new understanding of things.

But until now I can fine talk about it. But really performing it is very very poor.

@ Ernesto:
I think you migth understand why I'm looking forward to April so eager that I even delayed my "family duties".

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote:
The only thing I take issue with in your last post is the reference to sword practice.
I'm not aware I wrote about sword practice?

Quote:
My understanding is that with a sword also if the attack misses or is parried, it's over. ... just about exactly what you said about empty-hand practice.
This is my understanding too.

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 02-28-2012 at 05:18 AM.