View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: goals

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
It is John approach only through total relaxation can the body work as one and truly accomplish the things that we in Aikido claim as our goals. He also said, and this is my experience also, that any unwanted tension in the body as you are moving voids the benefits of being relaxed,,,,,,requiring a muscular forcing of the outcome. While it may not be popular with some on this forum, this is what Dan has been saying also. The other common theme here is the time and work needed to get to the continuous relaxtion while moving and that you have to take the right approach or you will never get there.
Hi Gary -

You have nicely summed up what is a core element in the Aikido Mary and I practice and teach.

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
As I had brought up aiki age John used that as the model. I grabbed his wrists, held them the first time in a tight grip, braced myself to hold him down...and the next moment his hands were at my chest and his body was end to me with his center under mine. I was popped back several feet landing on shift legs. The next few times I changed my grip, settled myself, tried the one body approach, kept my shoulders down, flexed my knees.....all the things we strive to do.........I still could not feel him move, his hands were at my chest and I was moved back. The difference in the results was I didn't go as far and I had a soft landing. Next I tried to used my intent, trying to mover in and around John with it,,,,,, He still moved and moved me back......the only difference from John's perspective was I was doing something that made me more stable, but it didn't change the results. He said that he does not react to resistance, hence he does not generate in tension in himself and just moves without concern for me. Of course with me I had a hell of a time even getting my hands up without him stopping me. Years of practice with the correct approach.....
Based on other posts of yours that I have read, and what you have posted above, I think you would find that what Mary and I practice on the mat is very similar to your experiences (especially the exercise you describe above). When Mary writes about uke sincerely following nage it's in reference to uke continuing the attack throughout the encounter, trying to keep his balance and continuing to pour energy into his attack; not blindly following along like a puppy on a leash.

Best,

Ron