View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #48
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Ki, Aiki, Aikido. The 'internal stuff' that never left Aikido

Quote:
Mike Haft wrote: View Post
Dan and Mike et al. often say that you have to come to them and 'feel it' or something similar, they may be entirely right that this is the best and only effective way to make these things sink in in a lot of peoples training. On the other hand, have they tried going to large seminars and seeing what they are able to achieve by teaching in this sort of environment? I think it would be an interesting exercise to have them do that.
I've done large seminars in the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, etc., for about 13 years and have developed some fairly focused methods of teaching a lot of these things to groups. The problem is that:

(1.) you can't do more than scratch the surface in a 2-day (6 hours a day) workshop. The topic tangents get away from you and you have to focus on only a few of the available tangents in a workshop or you get nothing done. Most people can only learn a little bit at first simply because the skills are new and because their bodies are not trained to use real kokyu/jin forces... so they can go but so far.

(2.) Most people also never go very far, even after a workshop, because they don't really analyse and they don't really work. I've seen "teachers" and "senior students" with "many years of experience" who couldn't find their butts with both hands because they keep playing with "forms" and rituals and never truly make the effort to change over to jin strength, etc. These people spend far too much time going to seminars and grabbing the latest fad of the month when they should just work.

The point being that even a refined teaching method isn't going to work for most people. I've finally quit beating myself up because the success ratio is so small.

Lastly, let me point out, Mike, that if your "logic" (see #2) was really that good, you should be able to logically explain how many of the things in past discussions were done. That's what many of these threads were about. You say you can do them, so why not let's see your analyses of how they word, as you teach them?

Mike Sigman

Last edited by Mike Sigman : 03-21-2007 at 11:46 AM.