Thread: 5th Kyu Shihan
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
RED
United_States
5th Kyu Shihan

I remember my Sensei and Sampai complaining about something they called "5th kyu Shihan". I never understood what they were making fun of, and what they were frustrated with until recently.

I recently have been blasted with the attitude, eye rolls. I've had newly belted uke that purposely refuses to take ukemi than scoffs at your technique when an instructed technique fails. Sometimes when they take the wrong ukemi to get out of the technique I adjust my technique, but some of these uke create a big scene either about how stupid little me did the wrong technique, or about how the unexpected technique hurt them. (it doesn't hurt anything but their pride.) I'm getting corrected and told to do things obviously not as instructed. I've had my instruction refused, my time wasted, disrespected, scoffed at...--

I've pretty much tried to avoid training with particular people until their attitudes straighten out. I'm sure it won't be forever. I mean know I've been a pain for my fiance' to work with at times, but that's primarily because I enjoy arguing with him <3 <3 but I argue with him, not purposely take bad ukemi just so I can scoff and useit as an excuse to instruct my Sempai fiance'.

But some of the stuff people are doing is just disrespectful, sometimes dangerous, and belligerent.

I'm trying not to have an issue with pride, to just brush it off and take a lesson in patience.

BTW: this isn't a problem for my dojo, just a problem for me with a few and select individuals. lol My dojo doesn't have a slue of people like this. A person or two pops up every now and then until they get their pride shot and they return in line.