View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #158
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Internal Power Development Methods

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Well, your experience is undoubtedly deeper than mine, but I'm going by what Ark said: all the energy remains within your own body. And unless I'm remembering very poorly, Dan Harden said the same thing. Ark went further, I think, by saying that you "choke off" the techniques within yourself, i.e., you do the technique within yourself.
I was just talking about this tonight teaching class. Rob described the concept as "kaeshi" returning.

The best analogy I can think of is the old 'ki' trick of the unbendable arm. Most dojos describe it as an 'arm like fire hose'. And that's exactly what they get, a stiff arm incapable of bending and basically uncontrollable, just like a fire hose being held about 6 feet back from the open end. Now imagine a fire hose folded over on itself to form a loop with a kink and close off the end of the hose (you can actually experience this with just a garden hose). Now you have created a stable structure out of something that's made of fabric and water. Hmm, kinda like people...

When you do push out, you don't just blast into the other person, it's more like you expand, but you never bleed out that energy/intent/bioprasma/midiclorians/whatevah *into* them, they are simply displaced by your biggification.

All usual disclaimers apply: I probably said it wrong, probably doing level 1 version, or it's different now, or I misunderstood or something... But this is what I've been working with, and it's helped.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu