Thread: Vantage points
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 AM   #41
sorokod
United Kingdom
Re: Vantage points

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
As for "Aiki" - Dan has just as solid an Aiki lineage as anybody posting here. Not to mention the Aikido folks who call what he is doing "Aiki".
You appeal to Dan Harden's authority and when asked for clarification you reply with
Quote:
You'll have to ask Dan that. I will say that my lineage is fairly public, along with many of the others who are saying that, yes, this is "Aiki".
For whatever its worth, in my opinion, that was an argument that wasn't worth making and more than supporting your case it took away.

Quote:
Greg made a pretty good reply to that (and Carsten added an interesting additional comment) , and I agree - I don't see two different definitions at all.
About that quote, I will just paste it here in context, so that a reader can decide on his own (from http://members.aikidojournal.com/pri...i-ueshiba-2/):

Quote:
Q: But unless you resist, it isn't budo. That is why I don't like it.
A: You're talking about budo used for military rule. Kendo and Judo are said to be Japanese budo, but they are concerned with winning, aren't they? Since Aikido pursues harmony, it is different from those arts.

Q: So you throw your partner saying, "Be friends with me!", don't you?
A: How can I reply when someone like you says such things?

Q: Please forgive me if I said something to offend you. I am the one in favor of military rule, you know! (Laughter)
A: When an opponent comes to attack you, you just move your body slightly to avoid his attack, and let him go wherever he wants. This is Aiki. In other words, you give him freedom.
It has been said that "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof".

Quote:
That's just the thing, I don't see you asking most folks to provide proof when they talk about "Aiki" only a certain group.
You, as in the followers of Dan Harden's method, claim exclusivity on "Aiki" while narrowing its meaning to suit your world view. To me this is extraordinary enough to require a proof. Should be to you too.