View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #38
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Vantage points

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
This is incorrect. I see comments about "lineage" from the IP crowd constantly.

You don't use the word lineage, but you're getting at the same thing. When the IP crowd talks about "vetting" they are making a lineage comment. When the comments are coming from you directly, Chris, the "lineage argument" takes the form of translations. Usually you ask people to show where the founder said something. If shown this, you will often make comments about how your ability to understand the founders words are better then others. In essence you are saying that your understanding of "lineage" is better then others.
I ask people to show where the founder said something when the are saying that what they are doing is linked to what he said and did in some way - to show how that linkage works.

I'm not asking them to provide a qualifying technical lineage in order to express an opinion, those are two very different things.

If by "often make comments about how your ability to understand the founders words are better then others" you mean that when I say that some things are difficult to understand in translation, or out of the correct context, then yes, that's true. Are you really saying that isn't the case?

Quote:
Are you suggesting that you are not doing this?
Yes I am, I've asked my questions of Dan and the others - for years. Then I went to go meet them.

Quote:
Yes, this is what both sides are doing. Ad nauseam. There are these two distinct groups. It's a shame really.
I haven't really seen much of a presentation of definitions of Aiki from conventional Aikido groups - certainly not of the quantity and detail that's been put out by others. Last time you provided two quotes, the time before that you said that you weren't really interested in linking your definition of Aiki to Ueshiba (or something to that effect).

Best,

Chris