View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #36
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Vantage points

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
I'll also note that the only people who seem to challenge the right to express an opinion based on the lineage of the person stating the opinion seem to come from conventional Aikido.
This is incorrect. I see comments about "lineage" from the IP crowd constantly.
Quote:
lin·e·age
: noun
lineal descent from an ancestor; ancestry or extraction: She could trace her lineage to the early Pilgrims.
the line of descendants of a particular ancestor; family; race.
You don't use the word lineage, but you're getting at the same thing. When the IP crowd talks about "vetting" they are making a lineage comment. When the comments are coming from you directly, Chris, the "lineage argument" takes the form of translations. Usually you ask people to show where the founder said something. If shown this, you will often make comments about how your ability to understand the founders words are better then others. In essence you are saying that your understanding of "lineage" is better then others.

The "non-conventional" (read IP crowd) uses lineage arguments constantly.

Quote:
That's just the thing, I don't see you asking most folks to provide proof when they talk about "Aiki" only a certain group.
Are you suggesting that you are not doing this?

Quote:
If you disagree with that definition (and it's been posted fairly clearly at various times) then provide your own and show us why that one should be more valid.
Yes, this is what both sides are doing. Ad nauseam. There are these two distinct groups. It's a shame really.