Thread: Sansho 2
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Sansho 2

I'm sorry for not replying sooner...

I have this written down, however, in my experience, even in Chiba's program, since the set is usually taught as a whole (made up of three parts) and not by the individual techniques, folks come to name the techniques differently (since they can often go without names) and so one person's writing is not going to be another person's writing. This goes doubly true for things like transitions, etc. - where I've seen folks pretty much do anything they want and/or have seen being done elsewhere. In short, you could have one written version of the form and that could be totally different from the one you are doing. Does that make sense? I believe you are training out of Bookman Sensei's dojo - and from what I've seen of one of his Sansho sets at the AikiExpo - it is bit different from what I was being shown by Chiba Sensei when I trained in San Diego. Some of that goes with what you were shown and when, etc. Life.

If I were you, though I'm certainly willing to pass along my written version, I would ask your teacher or a senior student from your dojo for such a list - that is probably going to be your best bet for matching names to techniques and for having the types of transitions that are particular to your teacher's understanding of the sets.

In my lists, I don't think I have the transitions written in, since we use videos as training supplements and not just the texts, but if you'd like to have the list of techniques that I have, feel free to email me - you can get my email from our dojo web site (see signature below). One thing to note, Sansho 2 had an extended ending added on a little bit ago - folks that trained before that with Sensei but that did not train with him come like the last ten years or so often don't have this added ending. (another reason to ask your teacher or a senior student from your dojo).

Thanks,
dmv

PS: Another great option is to get the Summer Camp Weapons tape at Haywood University - it has Sensei going over Sansho 2 on there (with the ending I am referring to up above).

Last edited by senshincenter : 10-19-2005 at 04:44 PM.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.