View Single Post
Old 01-10-2001, 11:11 PM   #26
jin
Re: Re: Re: Jesus practiced aikido too...

Quote:
DiNalt wrote:
Quote:
akiy wrote:
Quote:
jin wrote:
"Aikido is the religion that is not a religion; it perfects and completes all religions."
In my mind, aikido is not a religion.

-- Jun
I have noticed that a lot of things in Aikido require literally, faith - in a way, like Indiana Jones stepped into that canyon in the third movie.

I remember that I did my first roll out of faith.
I had do have faith in the fact that my arm will not collapse.
When I gathered enough, I did a roll and it worked.
Of course there were many times when it didn't and I let it collapse because I was afraid and lacking... faith.

Then I hurt my back, shoulders, etc.

kokyu dosa appears to be something also requiring faith. I noticed that the power of your center really kicks in during the middle of the technique, but that first part has to be more or less based on faith, for an amateur like myself.

And now when I'm learning breakfalls, it also requires faith...
Respectfully, I think you have faith mixed up with willpower. You willed yourself to accept the roll. Faith, is to have a firm belief without logical proof. I'm sure you've seen people take the roll before you had attempted it which would give you some logical proof, so the rest was you just willing yourself to do it. It would have been faith if you had never seen it done before, but were only told that it would be safe.

Rob