View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Injury and Responsibility

A very dangerous place in ones Aikido practice is that intermediate place at which your ukemi is just fine... most of the time. Back when I first started I was training with a friend. We started slow and worked up. Both of us were normally careful with our partners but we had each thrown each other a dozen times, taken the break falls with no problem, and neither had any reason at all to expect anything different. Than, out of the blue, I simply froze on one technique. I didn't take the fall. He was going full out and I took the whole kotegaeshi on my wrist joint, heard it sort of crackle as it sprained, and then I took the fall... too late of course.

This was in no way my partner's fault. I had given him a false sense of security by taking all my falls with no problem and then with no warning at all, screwing one up. There was no way to see it coming.

One of my Nidans broke her arm when she panicked when her partner did a koshi on her and it wasn't clean. She mistakenly put her arm down to protect her, which was of course exactly not the thing to do. She landed on it and it broke. Her partner was guilty of nothing more than not having the skill at his level to do a clean koshinage.

Stuff happens. If accidents are truly accidental, they happen randomly across the dojo at all ranks. On the other hand, if a person consistently has partners who experience accidents, then it's not accidental any more. It's a pattern. The teacher is expected to deal with that. Assuming it's not the teacher who has this pattern of "accidents".

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com