View Single Post
Old 01-07-2006, 08:08 AM   #13
Ed Shockley
Dojo: aikikai of Philadelphia
United_States
Re: Poor Training partner

There is a phrase called "multiple intelligences" that is part of current education jargon. Students learn in different ways. Some are great with concepts, some need tactile stimulation, some need sound coding, lists etc. I find that if I shut up and train then my partner usually communicates what he or she needs and how she wants it. If they ask a question then it is verbal response. If they stand perplexed and frozen it is often their particular tactile approach and I either stand surrendering my body for their experiment or place my body moving toward the ukemi. Sometimes they need the ego boost of instructing me. My ukemi then is to accept their need if my ego is secure enough to ignore the breach of etiquette and then either explore their interpretation of the technique or allow them to experience my interpretation. I don't think there's any right or wrong unless there is danger. The worst that can happen is Sensei corrects us both because the only true reality is that we both are performing the technique less than perfectly.