View Single Post
Old 02-07-2003, 03:07 PM   #4
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Rachel,

Last fall I attended my first seminar. Before even "booking" a space, I emailed the contact person asking if it was OK to attend, explained that the club I am part of doesn't wear hakama 'till shodan (presently ikkyu), and that we never, ever do weapons work. The contact (the Sensei of the club hosting the seminar) clarified what his organization's guidelines were, but pointed out that I should do what I think is best. That was the answer I was looking for (warm, respectful), and after talking to my Sensei about it, off I went.

I didn't bring the brown belt or hakama I obtained while living in another city (ASU for 3 months, never becoming a member), which in hindsite I should have brought along just in case.

IMHO, it is rude to not introduce yourself to everyone, especially the Sensei of the club. The person giving the seminar is sometimes hard to get close to, as they are the person everyone came to see! Still, better to try.

With respect, Si, if you are dan-ranked student you know it, and so will anyone who watchs you for 5 seconds, black belt/hakama or not.

People will train with you (or not) for all kinds of reasons. I prefer to be the person who didn't impose my rules on them, my hosts and fellow guests.

BTW, Jun's piece helped me alot

http://www.aikiweb.com/training/akiy6.html