View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #36
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Yonkyo is unbearable

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
Allow me to clarify. The original question dealt with the technique being painful and not a counter or "pain compliant approach." Which are other good topics to be discussed. Muscle tension is one way to protect against pain experienced during practicing of the technique. A certain amount of muscle tension in the limb and area of application is to protect against the amount of pain experienced. Thus being a way to control the pain felt from Yonkyo. Muscle tension isn't the only way to ease pain. Another way, of course, is to tap out the second you feel pain.

Experiencing pain in this application can also provide us with information and feedback. Feeling no pain at all while practicing the technique limits or provides no information or feedback during the practice experience. That is simply going through the motions or walking through it squelches a great deal of feedback and information about the technique. Too much pain of course is damaging and defeats the purpose of the learning process. Point being pain isn't a bad thing it is very useful in the right amounts.
Buck, how do you use muscle tension to ease pain? I've always felt that when I added tension I increased the pain. My best method for reducing pain was always to relax and engage my center as much as possible.

As for the OP, my best guess is to really enter with the part of your forearm that aite's palm chakra touches (or would touch, based on some versions I've seen), particularly as the fingers begin to close around you. Even if I'm still being controlled, I could usually take away the sting pretty well in most cases.

Also, as a side-note: what's the difference between katate tori and yonkyo? Is it the emphasis on what part of the palm is driving the suppression? At some point I developed the sense that any time I'm trying "katate tori," I'm trying some form of yonkyo.

Gambarimashyo!