View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States
Aikido: more than a martial art?

I have heard from many aikidoka (including one of my senseis) that aikido is "more than a martial art" or "not just a martial art". The explanation for this is often that aikido is a way of life and a spiritual discipline, not just a method for physical fitness and self-defense.

This is certainly true, in and of itself. But when used as a justification for setting aikido apart from other martial arts, it seems to imply that other martial arts are not spiritual disciplines or ways of life. And that is a sentiment which would sorely offend practitioners of kung fu, kenpo, iaido, and many other arts.

My question is this:
Virtually all traditional martial arts claim, like aikido, to be spiritual disciplines and ways of life, more than just fighting methods. When we say, then, that aikido is more than just a martial art, are we refuting those claims made by other arts? Or are these other arts equally worthy of being called "more than a martial art"? And if so, if the term "martial art" is one so widely transcended, why use it at all?

In short, (A) do we claim that spirituality, philosophy, and life lessons are exclusive to aikido in the martial arts world, and (B) if not, what is the basis for our claim that aikido is "more than a martial art"?

This figure of speech is often used but rarely explained at length and it's starting to confuse me.