View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #39
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: techniques to use against a front chest push?

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote:
I don't know how many of us have been shoved before. But in my experience, if I just throw your hands up and say "whoa take it easy" it's over. Shoving is usually posturing, and it is usually done to encourage you to swing at them to justify a fight happening. Just don't let a fight happen.
and
Quote:
Keith Larman wrote:
Sometimes a shove is a blind rage attack. Sometimes it leads to something else. Just be careful of assuming you're going to be able to just put your hands up and say "whoaaa, cool down". What you might get is a punch to the face for your trouble.
I think Keith makes a very good point, but I do understand where Maggie is coming from. I have seen this situation go both ways a number of times.

However, an interesting question is raised: Once "push to the chest" is mentioned as an attack, almost everyone seems to instantly default to, 1) posturing, 2) push quickly followed by punch. Are either of these two situations what was originally contemplated in techniques we see against pushes?

I would say, no. I think the situation is closer to this:

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
The other version involves the victim who is shoved into another attacker or so that he falls and then the shover's pals swoop in and start kicking the crap out of you.
Not responding in the situation Larry articulated is very bad. Also, this situation, more than the others, sheds light on why your response may look the way it does in aikido versus just standing your ground and punching the guy in the face.

But, just like Keith said, much of this is contextual.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki