View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #40
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: YouTube: Golden Center Sword

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
As a matter of fact, Aikido, at least Aikikai for the most part and even some Tomiki perversions has become the Tai Chi of obese intellectuals and smug wannabe warriors, that could sell ice makers in the Arctic Circle.
Truth be told, it all comes down to the person...and in their own mind they know who and what they are.

Train well,

Mickey
Interestingly enough (to me at least ), I came to Aikido because I viewed it as "Japanese Tai Chi," which to my mind meant it was more meditative than martial (I have since learned both can be perfectly effective as physical self-defense practices). This is why I asked my questions about Graham's meaning. I don't think it's inapropriate to put healthful socializing in the forefront of one's training. As long as we're honest with ourselves and open to new points of view, i say we can't really go wrong for the most part.
Incidentally, my brief experience with Tomiki Ryu gave a very nice comparison for the "flavor" I began with. I can only imagine how a greater cross-section of experience would deepen my perspective.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 11-27-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Gambarimashyo!