View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #53
Kevin Wilbanks
Re: Crush on a Yudansha!

It seems to me that many people here must be pretty cynical about love or looking for something superficial in a relationship. The possibility of some awkwardness at the dojo for a few hours per week at some indefinite future time, not having quite as much fun with your favorite uke if things don't work out... these sound like exceedingly weak disincentives to doing something that one hopes will be truly worthwhile. I wouldn't even bother pursuing a relationship with someone if piddly concerns like that were enough to thwart me.

Personally, about the only things I ever truly regretted in life were things that I did or did not do in relation to someone I loved. I doubt anyone ever bemoaned the fact that they failed to follow an arbitrary personal dating rule on their death bed, but love lost or chances not taken are a common theme in this situation.

My advice to anyone with this type of "problem" is to seize the moment. Life is short and people with whom you can genuinely connect and become intimate are rare. Anything worthwhile involves taking risks, and the kind of risks being discussed so somberly here sound like utter trifles to me, compared to the potential rewards. Even more important is the bigger picture: if you allow yourself to be cowed by this kind of minor risk, you are in for a very staid, boring life.