View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #60
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Re: Gun Crimes

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote: View Post

It certainly cannot compare with can openers and nonlethal appliances, for our needs in daily life.
There's no such thing as a nonlethal appliance; All it takes is a little imagination.

Quote:
I need my car to go to work: but I don't need a gun to keep me safe (at least...so far).
I'm glad of that.

Quote:
I'd rather have a tool that cannot be used against me, or my loved-ones.
Suggestions?

Quote:
Honestly, IMO? I'd go with choice A. If the guy were never allowed to own a gun, followed up by extensive counselling and occasional searches for those proven to be a danger (I'm not advocating this, as it would be illegal. But, just as a hypothetical)..well there you go. No guns...no widespread massacre.
but...
Quote:
A determined psyhopath doesn't need a gun to commit mass-murder...viz, the OK city bombings, etc
Quote:
Neither do I. We're all MA's, after all. I'm all for self-defence.
What about defense of others? If my daughter, or some other non-combatant, is with me and we are outnumbered, what can my aikido do to protect them? I say "thin out their numbers".
Quote:
But what a lot of you are failing to acknowledge is the militarizing effect of guns upon our society. It also affects how we experience the world. Just look at a 1st person shooter videogame, as a good example. How does a player in "Doom" greet everything he sees?

Rifle-barrel first, locked and loaded.
If a horned mutant toting a lazer gun is what greets me around the corner, I'm emptying my clip!

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't agree. Stories about "mass knifings" in the media
are rare: and I think there's a reason for that. In this society, we don't identify knives with masculine power in the same manner that we do with guns.
We do, however, identify cars with freedom. There are plenty of people out there that, based on their driving, should be taking the bus.
Quote:
Again, I want to reiterate that I am not suggesting that guns be made illegal.
Good.
Quote:
The tales of gun fatalities inflicted by the police upon us even as they supposedly protect us are sobering.
So on whom should we depend for protection...?

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida