View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 02:07 PM   #169
MM
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Neil Yamamoto wrote:
I've stayed out of this but guess I'll mess up the environment a bit.
Can't hurt.

Seriously, thanks for the post. I'll snip some of it, though. Hope you don't mind.

Quote:
Neil Yamamoto wrote:
What I believe makes Ark's method work well and develop the traits described is the training methodology. Aikido as it is popularly taught lacks knowledge of this in almost all cases I've experienced with hands on contact or seen demonstrated.

Aikido's methodology for teaching these things are there, but are so totally misunderstood by almost everybody I've encountered, including numerous higher ranked instructors, they are almost useless for developing those body skills. As a result, I believe aikido for most people lacks much of what is needed for control over positioning in relation to uke. Which is why tenken is used so often, as is evasion, sped up techniques, and excessive torque applied to limbs. My impression is the Japanese arts are way behind the Chinese arts in how these things are taught. I have my own pet theories on why, but I'm not going to get into that here.
Got to agree with you here. Still, if it is there with some high ranking Aikido instructors, why isn't it being taught? Or is it, just silently and without a lot of fanfare?

Quote:
Neil Yamamoto wrote:
The upper body cross, (front and rear) hip and torso stability, compression, hip canting, rooting, etc. I've felt in good aikido sensei- Yoshioka from Hawaii and what he was capable of springs to mind as one of the most capable in this regard. I couldn't put words to it back then, but I remember the feel extremely well.

Ikeda has some similar skills as those discussed but uses it in a very different intent and manner.
Which is why it felt differently but was still very subtle and smooth. Good to know it for sure, though.

Quote:
Neil Yamamoto wrote:
What the block is for most people I believe, and as was already mentioned, is focus on the wrong things and not being willing to step back and start afresh. I know from direct experience with several aikidoka, karateka, etc. they were willing to admit what they did didn't work on me, just not willing to let go of what their status was in their own world of training. Dogma within an art and in a group is a powerful factor to try and overcome. Those who do over come it usually end up good and on their own, or good and not well liked in the group.
Ugh. Much the same thing I heard from someone else. I'm still looking for Option C.

Quote:
Neil Yamamoto wrote:
I had much of the same problem as a kid with not fitting in and being held back by trying to belong. Now it's just about sucking less each week and who cares who likes me any longer. As Chris will second, the rule we follow is "I suck. I will try to suck less. Someday I may even get good enough to do this well." Or something along that line of thought. And in case anyone wonders, the only reason I'm teaching is I suck less than the other guys in the group.
LOL! I like the quoted sentences. If you don't mind, I may use that.

Quote:
Neil Yamamoto wrote:
Last point as Mark just posted this, anyone ever done any of the exercises Shirata Rinjiro taught? Internal exercises indeed!
Um, not that I know of. Is there a place online that explains them?

Thanks,
Mark