View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: Effectiveness is the key to obtaining the other aspects of Aikido.

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
"[H]is students attack him with all their might and still tumble down in a shower of attacks (atemi) to their vital points.
In short his art reaches a conclusion before ordinary judo even starts its work. [The Founder] said, 'My technique is 70 percent atemi (striking) and 30 percent nage (throwing).' "
Was the Founder performing aikido in 1933? I thought he was still performing Daito-ryu then.

In the wrong hands, reliance on atemi can completely contradict the art of aikido. If you want to see how one teacher's exaggerated reliance on atemi affects his interpretation of aikido, read Aikido Techniques & Tactics, by Gary Bennett. On page 41 he explains:

"The method portrayed in this book is different in that the initial balance-breaking motion is a good atemi, or strike, that dazes the opponent. The throw relies on the fact that the assailant's balance is now upset and unstable no matter what direction I should choose. There is no need to lead first in one direction and then reverse it. Any motion that is applied to the assailant's balance will result in a throw because the equilibrium is now gone. This approach may seem to some not to fit in this classification of kuzushi, but, even though extremely subtle, it is actually breaking the balance twice."

The book, and the author's interpretation of aikido, is reviewed here: http://www.aikiweb.com/reviews/showp...ate=1074812919