View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Resisting Aikido Shihan

Quote:
I don't want to say anything bad about him because he was such a nice guy, but yes I gave him some resistance and he had enough trouble with for me know that he's not used to getting that kind of thing very much. I felt like I could have put him on the ground without too much difficulty if I tried but what would that prove: that a young, 6ft+ gaijin can beat up a little old 70 year-old Japanese guy?
Yet you start a thread about it... this is so sad.

Not a Shihan myself, but like Ron I've trained across Aikido organizations more often than I can remember and I've even taught a few seminars among people who really know how to throw down if they want to (non-Aikido folks). I can hardly remember an experience where etiquette was not observed on both sides and training kept cordial. My only bad experience was with one teacher who said that Aikido was not a "martial" art and then proceeded with some passive aggressive BS. Even then, reigi was maintained.

I think it's ridiculous to resist someone in the midst of a teaching environment and think to oneself "oh I blocked the great Shihan's waza, I am so powerful... my kungfu is so strong". Get over yourself already - you switch the rules in the midst of practicing in a cooperative environment, become competitive while the other person is in a teaching mindset, and then brag about how you were better than the other person? Had you let the Shihan know you were changing the rules and then been successful in doing what you said, then maybe one could see some value to the thread.

To be honest this is something I would not broadcast on an Internet forum using my real name, it shows gross misunderstanding of Aikido, its etiquette and basic common sense from a martial art perspective. It's like waiting for an old Marine in a dark corner, ambushing him before he knows he's in a fight and then go off bragging to your pals that "I have such great uber waza I beat a Marine in hand to hand combat."

Are you serious?

If you want to test your waza fine, but a true test involves the other person knowing that there is a test. In this case both will give their best effort towards learning something new through the testing, other than that it's simply a cheap ambush.

Last edited by L. Camejo : 10-19-2007 at 10:06 PM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca