View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Aikido, Weight Lifting & Flexibility

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote: View Post
Ridiculous. Do you find eating with a fork interferes with your ability to write with a pen? Human beings are not so badly designed as to be haplessly unable to keep from mixing up different movement patterns and skills. Power cleans and barbell squats are nothing like the movement patterns of dribbling a basketball and weaving through defenders, yet Michael Jordan did them, and both he and his strength coaches thought they were valuable.

You are correct that this is not a matter of opinion, nor is it a matter of self-evident proclamation from people claiming esoteric knowledge, it's a matter of scientifically established fact, and something easily verifiable by anyone's own experiences. I have never met nor even heard of a single person who uncontrollably mixed up skills in the way you are describing. Can you cite an instance of someone who went to write a letter yet couldn't help jamming the pen in his mouth? A runner who intended to do tenkan but instead uncontrollably sprinted across the mat?
Maybe your first example with the pen is a good one. Doing correct calligraphy involves changing one's movements to exactly the same kind of movement I'm talking about. People who do calligraphy like that use their chopsticks (forks) in a different way than people who don't understand kokyu movement.

You're saying "ridiculous". I'm saying that this is all about something in which you have no experience or you'd know I'm simply saying something fairly basic. To follow your line of thinking, even the discussion about "use your hara for movement" is meaningless and your perception of "using the hara" indeed doesn't ring a bell as being substantively different from normal movement. But you can't bring yourself to say "hmmmm... I'd need to see it". You simply gainsay everything with the idea there can be nothing under the sun you don't already know.

But then, that's why I'm contributing less and less to this forum. The number of people who already know everything is too high and the people who have been interested enough to explore have pretty much already done so. Go your own path. Remember though that I have 7-8 years of experience in Aikido and a large number of years in a number of other martial arts, not to mention a lot of years chasing down the fundamentals of this odd type of movement. You have zero real experience in this type of movement yet you're quick to poo-poo it. I'd simply suggest you go get some bona fide experience in it before you make pronouncements about it.

Regards,

Mike Sigman