View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #66
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States
Re: Defending Against Grappler Using Aikido

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote: View Post
I dont' think an MMAer will use the TKD he did when he was nine or the boxing his dad taught him. He will do whatever he's been training to do for the last six months consistantly.
Maybe an "MMAer" wouldn't. However, a sagacious martial artist would use the appropriate tool at the appropriate time. Why not use the skills you already possess, simply because you are currently engaged in acquiring new ones?

I also disagree that the techniques can't be effectively tweaked on the fly. If the MMAer is in fear of his life and sees the opportunity for an eye gouge, to rip an ear off, a bite, he may decide to use these tools even though he hasn't been training that way in class. Why would the aikidoka be any different?

I agree that the lack of opportunities to train with realistic attacks is frustrating. However, I see attempting to practice technique against every type of realistic attack you might encounter as at least as unrealistic as what is practiced at large. How the person attacks is ultimately out of my hands, therefore, I try to focus on what I have control over: my posture, alignment, extension, to name a few.

What I think is more realistic (and attainable) is a simulation of an attack with the center, not the arm. The arm has too many possibilities, the center is much more predictable and it's realistic movement easier to simulate

W..

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/