View Single Post
Old 08-13-2003, 01:54 PM   #45
Derek_W
Shu-Ra-Hi in use by the FAA

Quote:
David Yap wrote:
I attached herewith my understanding of the concept of Shu Ha Ri. It was a thesis written for for san dan grading in karate but I am sure it has relevance to Aikido.
{excellent essay by David Yap snipped}

Hi, all... my first post here. I just HAD to sign in and add my two cents because although I know nothing about aikido, I *am* a teacher. Specifically, I'm a flight instructor. And I thought it might be interesting for you all to know that "shu-ra-hi" training style is taught to American flight instructors when teaching them to fly airplanes... we just refer to it differently.

As flight instructors, we are taught that there are "four levels of learning:"

1. ROTE: the ability to repeat back an answer. For example, that "Vso is 55 knots" in a particular airplane.

2. UNDERSTANDING: a deeper level of learning in which one knows what has been taught, and when it might be applied. For example, that "Vso represent the lowest speed at which the airplane will fly, and that one wishes to land at this speed in order to have a smooth landing."

3. APPLICATION: The skill to apply the knowledge in the appropriate situations. For example, the ability to perform a successful low-speed landing.

4. CORRELATION: The ability to COMBINE AND ASSOCIATE this knowledge with other factors and skills in a given situation. For example, given a scenario in which the pilot may be landing with a crosswind, what would the pilot do in order to ensure a safe and comfortable landing? The Vso knowledge might be combined with knowledge of wind flow patterns over terrain, low-speed flight procedures and skills, altitude-related performance factors, etc. to safely and smoothly put the plane down.

In this case, it seems that "Shu" corresponds to "rote;" "Ha" corresponds to "understanding / application;" and "Ri" corresponds to "correlation." The match between the discipline of aikido training and flight training is (of course) not one-to-one, but there are similarities, and I thought you might be interested.