View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #55
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: What do you think about the combat orientated styles?

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post

This is understandable. What is your opinion on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDYr0tjKi8k .
I think, in agreement with Igor, that there's a difference between kihon waza training and application and that some sort of systematic process is required to bridge or reconcile that difference, which allows for a kind of "aliveness," I tend to look at Kihon Waza from a point of view that is different from a 1:1 attack/defense ration (if/then). So, I don't mind these techniques from that point of view, but Lenny here is positing them as application-worthy while they are nevertheless still happening within a kihon waza. For example, the point of the clinch's anchored elbow is that it is very much muscularly reinforced by its anchoring and that functions as a highly efficient way of controlling another person's height by controlling their head. In other words, structurally, and from the point of view of application, I can only see the lifting of that elbow as functioning on a much weaker person. Even then, artistically, aiming to lift an elbow that is by design wishing to remain un-lifted does not seem very much a harmonizing of yin and yang energies - something central to the art and something central to application on stronger larger attackers.

Also, from the point of view of application, any "pin" that does not directly control the cross lateral arm and/or the hips of the attacker is no pin at all. So-called pain compliance techniques, techniques whereby the person could move but opts not due to the presence of pain, are very low percentage in my application experience. When we face this kind of situation during arrests, you learn real fast that if you do not directly control that cross-lateral arm, the person is going to use it to move, even if it is ever so slightly, and you are thus going to immediately lose whatever pinning architecture you thought you had on the arm/wrist/finger/hand you were holding. This is a simple experiment that anyone can do at home. Have your friend or fellow Aikidoka try any pin they want but have them leave your cross-lateral arm free (i.e. not directly controlled). Then, use that arm to push your body along the surface of the ground in any direction you want or can. You will immediately feel the directly controlled arm regain its available usage. Yes, I understand that pain can be debilitating, but it is a very subjective thing, and it can be easily NOT debilitating via intoxication, medication, adrenaline, and determinedness. Hence, why I say it is low percentage and not as effective in application as direct control.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.