View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
Rob Watson
United_States
Re: No, the world is not becoming a more violent place so what are you getting out of

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
No, the laws of society (Hobbs' Leviathan) are only one of many factors Pinker identifies as causes of the reduction of violence.

Since this thread is about personal, physical violence nuclear bombs on the one hand and white-collar crime on the other are both beside the point.
I see the issue as larger than that. 'Reduction' not so much as a transition in the type as are the modes of coercion and the imposition of significant discomfort by nukes and Enron types. If one chooses not to consider such as expressions of violence ... well, I do.

A thief in the night that steals your wallet is worse than an artificially shuddering economy on the brink of collase that impoverishes millions? I'd much rather someone stole my wallet than the $150,000 in equity from my home. But I can be selfish at times.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.