Thread: Aikido Memories
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2001, 09:31 PM   #9
ntrcptr_00
Thumbs down Looking at the lights

My first experience with Aikido was very positive. I was a student of Judo for about 2 years. I asked my sensei what the difference was between Aikido and Judo. He introduced me to the Aikido instructor right before the class next door was about to start and asked if the sensei would quickly show me the difference between Judo and Aikido. I was instructed to take an attack position, and asked to mave a move in any direction. I did as I was told, and within what seemed like half a second, I was looking up at the lights on the ceiling. I asked if I understood the difference. I replied, "No, sensei. But that didn't take very long," I laughed out loud, perplexed and confused. I looked around at the 20-30 students around the edge of the mat, some laughing playfully, all with smiles on their faces. I guess they had looked up at the lights before.

I said, "I don't even know what happened. I was standing. I took an attack position, and now I am looking up at the ceiling. I don't even know what I tried to do."
"There was no fight. No Judo," he said matter-of-factly.
"I didn't have a chance to do anything," I said, grinning.
"Exactly. (pause) Aikido," he stated, bowing out, and he went to begin his class.

Jeff Isbell